27 March 2007

For lack thereof...


(This is one of the rare occasions I blog in English.

And normally I do so under special circumstances. Circumstances like when I am so very annoyed, yet need to keep a calm mind. Sanity is too precious to lose today and I am not about to squander it.)

Alas, the lack of justice! I begin with a lamentation, after what I heard from work today (I was away on course and was not implicated in any way). Brief scenario as such: A friend was treated unjustly by a superior after some glitches resulted from the actions of another. Many details were involved, various versions of the same tale floated about. I reckoned a lot more salt than the usual pinch was necessary, consumed it and pondered on my stand. Here are my conclusions:

  1. Any organisation cannot do without "structure". This is to be put in place and enforced by a worthy leader with vision and decisiveness. He holds the helm and strategically positions his surbodinates where they function best, holding the integrity and efficacy of the organisation. Franctic scurrying about in the execution of duties should not happen, less so becomec a norm. However, I see this happening very much around me.
  2. A leader is able to handle situations in a cool manner, no matter how " spontaneous" they are. However, this is to be done in a manner that shouldn't infringe upon the rights of surbodinates e.g hurt them in any manner. Yet again, I witness brashness too often.
  3. It just doesn't pay to be too kind. Sadly, this is THE new mantra. While ships should be kept afloat and sailing, there are certain helpless boats that may be better off sunk.

I cannot think of how to console my poor friend who was in a distraught state after her horrifying experience. She is a very sincere and responsible person, dedicated in her work and most willing to share her expertise and resources. A great partner to work with indeed. What happened to her chilled my spine. If a keen sense of responsibility and a kind heart earns an unreasonable reward such as a tongue-lashing, there is hardly justice, isn't there?

No comments: