25 November 2006

Gaining Loss


This is the book that's keeping the humour in my life now.
Ok, I have to admit I got hold of it after its Booker Prize win..I am an "awards" kind of reader.
No qualms about that.
And now shamelessly admitting I love it!

Frankly, Indian writers who reside in the West have always impressed me very much...it';s something in the way they write, a subtle (or even loud) note of cynicism swimming in between the words. India on the centre-stage or off, a delightful tone of sacarsm biting back into it is always available to entertain or lull readers into contemplation.
Or you can just laugh and stop at that level.

For me, the entire love affair with Indian writers began with "God of Small Things" and "Inheritance of Loss" is definitely not an ending chapter.
(I relish chuckling to myself on the MRT while sailing through the novel's ticklish flow!!!)

1 comment:

Miao 妙 said...

Check out Jhumpa Lahiri. She writes fantastic short stories.